Thursday, September 25, 2008

Winston & Nina Update



Both Winston & Nina are home tonight. Neither of them had any serious side effects from the gum, thank the Lord! The both did have elevated liver enzymes, meaning that enough of the gum did get into their system to affect the liver. I was surprised about this because we made Winston vomit 15-20 minutes after he ate the gum, and we did the same to Nina in about 40 minutes. Xylitol is some dangerous stuff with dogs. We are very happy to have them home this evening. Thank you everyone for your good thoughts & prayers. 

6 comments:

caroline said...

that is so scary! i had no idea about that.

i'm glad everything is ok though! what a scary experience, i bet.

Punchbugpug said...

Glad their home and doing good!

Pug and Bugg said...

SO glad they're ok!

I am very glad for your post about that stuff in the gum. Oliver, my first pug, died of liver failure. They attributed it to something outside that had infected urine or feces on it of some sort, thus causing liver damage and failure. WELL, Oliver used to have these little "stashes" of stuff he found, and sometimes it was packs of gum. We don't know how, but he'd find them. Thank you for making me aware of this- my mom and I are now CERTAIN that that is how he passed. It is like closure to know. We'll make sure this doesn't happen to our girls!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh i am so relieved!
i have been thinking of all of you. please give them both a hug and a kiss from emmitt and me.
thank goodness you knew what to do!
(and now i do too. thank you so much for sharing.)
xo
m & e

Puddleglum said...

So glad everything is OK! Dad has now made sure all the sugarless gum is out of our reach and in a drawer.

Dozer and Coop said...

Glad you guys are home and getting better! We got our paws crossed for you!

Dozer, Dottie and Cooper